March 22, 2019
Ready for spring break? I asked a kindergartner if she is ready to have a week off and she replied, “No! What will I do without my friends?” Although friends will be missed, I know students and teachers alike have been working hard and need a break! I hope you take the time to rest and rejuvenate over the next week. I hope you get outdoors, sleep in, read good books, play, travel, laugh, love, and play some more! We can’t wait to see everyone back on April 1st ready to finish out the year.
So much is happening in Lower School this spring! Be sure to mark your calendars for all the events listed below. Save the date for Wed, April 10th for Writer’s Workshop Family night starting at 2:00 pm in the Lower School Atrium! Join us for an informative and fun afternoon learning about our Writer’s Workshop program from Kindergarten to 4th grade. Childcare will be provided for current O’Neal students. More details to come!
Here’s a glimpse of some things we have experienced/learned in lower school this week:
- PreK 4 continued their study of the rainforest this week
- The entire O’Neal community came together for an hour of community service, cleaning up campus and giving back!
- PreK 3 studied the letter “s” with silly socks, superheroes, and sunglasses
- 2nd graders are enthusiastically writing letters to future 2nd graders about their favorite books and what makes them so great
- Kindergarten and 1st grade traveled to First Health with their teddy bears for the Teddy Bear Fair where they learned about doctors and hospitals
- 3rd grade hosted a local guest speaker, Molly Goodman, from Sandhills Farm to Table as they launch their PBL
- PreK 4 studied the letter “M” with a magenta marble painting and Mozart
- 1st grade continued their study of rocks and minerals
- 2nd grade worked on growing patterns using tiles in math
Love Hopper? Would you like to take him home over Spring Break? Please email me at email@example.com
if you’re interested! He’s easy to care for and the kids LOVE the responsibility.
- March 22nd - March 29th - Spring Break - No Classes
- April 18th 1st - 4th - Grade Spring Concert
- April 9th and 11th - PreK 4 Parent Talks with Ms. Manning 8:15-9:15
- April 10th - Writer’s Workshop K - 4th Afternoon 2:00 - 3:00 pm
- April 16th - PreK 4 Parent Talks with Ms. Manning 12:15-1:15 pm
- April 17th - O’Neal Heritage Festival 5-7 pm
- April 18th - 1st-4th Grade Spring Concert 8:30 am
- April 19th - April 22nd - Easter Holiday - No Classes
- April 26th - Field Day - Noon Dismissal
- Week of April 29th - ERB testing 3rd and 4th grade
- Week of May 6th - Lower School Plant Sale
Chuckles: (or funny things these kids say!) Names excluded to protect the innocent!
3rd Grade boy: “I have an old farm on the side of my house and I don’t know what to do with it.”
“Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love!” - Sitting Bull
“It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!” - Mark Twain