January 18, 2019
We’ve had another productive and fun learning week in Lower School! I am proud of our fourth graders as they continue to rise to the occasion of being the leaders of the Lower School. Today was another opportunity for them to shine as they led our Friday Lower School assembly. Today’s assembly highlighted information about Martin Luther King, Jr, including a wonderful song performed by 2nd grade celebrating his birthday. They also introduced our new Director of Safety and Security, Mr. Tim Wenzel, sharing his role at our school as well as fun facts about him. Be sure to stop by and say hello to Mr. Wenzel. You can find him in the cafeteria during lunch, around campus at various times, or in his office located in the Lower School across from Mrs. Phillip’s desk.
I hope you all have a wonderful long weekend! I’ll see you this evening for the silent night basketball games, spaghetti dinner and fun in our pajamas!
Here’s a glimpse of some things we have experienced/learned in Lower School this week:
Spaghetti dinner 5:30-7:00pm
Varsity Girls and Boys Basketball beginning at 5:00pm
- 1st graders enjoyed projects creating reptiles this week—with some messy fun!
- Prek 4 studied arctic animals complete with penguin parts and homemade sensory “ice”
- Hope you didn’t miss the math club before school in 3rd grade for some word problem fun
- On the playground, you may have spotted student created animal habitats by kindergarteners
- In 3rd grade, students conducted cool science experiments involving color and surface tension
- Several lower school teachers including Mrs. Ambersley, Mrs. Duffy, and Mrs. Smith led mini workshops highlighting areas of expertise such as Project Based Learning and STEAM paper circuits to the O’Neal faculty and staff
- 2nd grade began work on their Project Based Learning topic of weather complete with weather stories, a web, and a daily weather journal
- Prek 3 planted lavender seeds for the letter “L”
- Thank you to our parent volunteers for covering lunch and recess while the teachers enjoyed a faculty lunch!
- Prek 4 had “desserts with dogs” in their kitchen and were “dog doctors” in their veterinarian office for the letter “D”
- Kindergarten conducted a “blubber” experiment using ice buckets and Crisco vegetable oil while studying arctic animals and even treated us to an arctic animal song at this morning’s Prek/k assembly
**No CELL PHONES in carpool line—please hold your calls until you are through the carpool line for the safety of our Lower School children
**No dogs on campus (even in your car during carpool)—again this is a safety issue
**It’s cold!!! Please send your child with warm things and LABEL, LABEL, LABEL—then check the lost and found chest outside the Lower School for your child’s hats, mittens, and coats when lost
January 21 - No School—Martin Luther King, Jr
Chuckles: (or funny things these kids say!) Names excluded to protect the innocent!
Prek3 Boy: “My cookie tastes like chocolate chip cake and cotton candy and my favorite…. lollipops.”
Prek4 Boy: “Did you know someone once tried to cut my nose off without even having scissors!”
“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” –J.R.R. Tolkien
“To give service to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”—Mahatma Gandhi